For Brampton, the collapse of Canada-U.S. trade negotiations is not an abstract dispute measured only in tariff percentages. Mayor Patrick Brown says more than 3,000 people remain out of work amid the shutdown of the Stellantis Brampton Assembly Plant, a facility that once anchored thousands of families and a much larger supplier economy.
Brown backed Prime Minister Mark Carney’s decision to reject the latest U.S. offer, arguing that accepting an agreement that left the Canadian auto industry exposed would have carried consequences long after the negotiating deadline passed. Carney suspended the talks after saying Washington introduced last-minute terms that were unfair and uneconomic. Autos were among the central sticking points, particularly the treatment of Canadian content and larger vehicles. The dispute has therefore become a test of how much market access Canada is willing to surrender for short-term certainty.
Brampton Has Already Seen What Auto Uncertainty Looks Like
Brown’s warning carries unusual weight because Brampton is already living through the consequences of an uncertain North American auto strategy. Canadian Press reporting on August 23 said the mayor estimates more than 3,000 people remain out of work because of the Stellantis Assembly Plant shutdown. Brown said Ottawa was right to walk away rather than accept terms that would leave Canadian vehicle, parts, steel and aluminum production vulnerable to U.S. tariffs.
The exact employment numbers require some context. Unifor has recently referred to more than 2,200 laid-off workers directly represented at the plant, while roughly 3,000 employees worked there before production stopped and retooling began. Brampton officials have historically estimated an even broader employment footprint once suppliers, skilled trades and local spending are included. That distinction matters: when a large assembly operation stops building vehicles, the economic impact does not end at the factory gates. Tool shops, parts makers, transportation companies and local businesses can all feel the slowdown.
A Retooling Plan Became a Fight Over the Plant’s Future
The Brampton facility was supposed to represent the next chapter of Stellantis manufacturing in Canada. In 2022, the automaker announced a $3.6-billion investment covering modernization of its Brampton and Windsor operations, supported by up to $529 million from the federal government and up to $513 million from Ontario. Brampton was expected to transition toward flexible production capable of building electrified vehicles, with the next-generation Jeep Compass eventually assigned to the site.
That plan unraveled. Production at Brampton stopped as the facility entered retooling, the planned restart was delayed, and Stellantis ultimately announced in October 2025 that Compass production would instead move to its Belvidere operation in Illinois. The uncertainty has continued into 2026. Unifor said this month that Stellantis was seriously considering discussions that could lead to a sale of the Brampton property, although the company said it remained focused on finding a sustainable manufacturing solution. For workers, every additional month without a replacement vehicle program deepens the uncertainty.
Autos Became One of the Issues That Helped Sink the Deal
Canada and the United States had appeared close to an agreement only days before the negotiations collapsed. But Carney said Washington changed its proposed terms late in the process. Autos were particularly problematic. Canada had been seeking significant relief from existing U.S. sectoral tariffs, while also trying to preserve the economic value of Canadian-made components within vehicles assembled on either side of the border.
The disagreement extended beyond the headline tariff rate. Carney said proposed U.S. treatment of Canadian content would have weakened the economics of producing vehicles in Canada. The Americans also resisted extending favourable treatment proposed for some light-duty vehicles to medium- and heavy-duty trucks. That would have excluded important Canadian production, including Ford F-350, F-450 and F-550 trucks in Oakville and General Motors Silverado production in Oshawa. For Ottawa, accepting lower tariffs on some vehicles while leaving strategically important Canadian plants exposed was not enough.
Canada’s Auto Industry Is Exceptionally Dependent on U.S. Buyers
The stakes are unusually high because Canadian vehicle manufacturing is built around access to the American market. The federal government says more than 90 per cent of Canadian-made vehicles and approximately 60 per cent of Canadian-made auto parts are exported to the United States. Canada produced more than 1.2 million passenger vehicles in 2025, while the broader automotive manufacturing sector supports roughly 125,000 direct jobs.
Statistics Canada has quantified that dependence even more sharply. Its latest value-added research found that U.S. demand accounted for approximately 76.4 per cent of payroll jobs in Canada’s automobile and light-duty vehicle manufacturing industry in 2024, equivalent to roughly 27,000 jobs in that specific manufacturing category. More than 93 per cent of Canadian motor-vehicle exports went to the United States in 2025. Those numbers explain why even modest changes in tariff treatment can influence decisions about where automakers assign future production, particularly when companies can choose between closely connected Canadian and American factories.
A 25% U.S. Auto Tariff Had Already Changed the Economics
Canadian vehicle producers were not entering the latest negotiations from a tariff-free starting point. Since April 2025, Canadian-made vehicles have faced a 25 per cent U.S. tariff on their non-U.S. content, although qualifying U.S. content in CUSMA-compliant vehicles has been exempt. Canada responded with its own tariffs on certain U.S.-built vehicles while creating remission mechanisms intended to encourage automakers to maintain production and investment in Canada.
That structure creates a complicated incentive. A Canadian-built vehicle may contain engines, electronics or other components made in the United States, meaning only part of its value faces the American duty. Yet the remaining tariff can still be large enough to change the business case for assembling a model in Ontario rather than Michigan, Ohio or Illinois. That is precisely why Canadian officials focused on rules governing domestic content instead of negotiating only over the headline percentage. A tariff reduction that simultaneously reduces recognition of Canadian components could provide much less relief than the number initially suggests.
One Assembly Job Supports a Much Larger Manufacturing Network
Brampton’s concern extends beyond a single employer because auto plants operate at the centre of dense supply chains. Canada’s automotive industry directly employed more than 125,000 people in 2024 and supported roughly 427,000 additional jobs through related industries, according to Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada. Brampton itself has long hosted parts manufacturers and advanced-manufacturing companies whose businesses developed around the region’s vehicle plants.
Statistics Canada’s broader manufacturing data show how tightly those jobs are connected to American demand. About 694,000 Canadian manufacturing jobs in 2024 were attributable to U.S. demand for Canadian exports. Manufacturing employment then weakened in 2025, with motor-vehicle-parts employment falling 9.3 per cent from December 2024 to December 2025. For a household in Brampton, that supply-chain structure turns trade policy into something tangible. A vehicle program that moves south can affect not only an assembly worker but also the machinist producing tooling, the driver delivering components and the smaller manufacturer supplying specialized parts.
Ottawa Has Already Tried to Make Production Commitments Matter
The Stellantis dispute has also forced Ottawa to confront a difficult question: how should public support be tied to corporate production decisions? Federal and provincial governments committed more than $1 billion combined toward the broader Stellantis modernization project announced in 2022. After Stellantis shifted its Compass plans, Ottawa used Canada’s auto tariff-remission framework to tighten pressure on automakers whose Canadian production fell short of previously established expectations.
That remission system allows automakers to import a defined quantity of U.S.-built vehicles without paying Canadian counter-tariffs, provided they maintain specified Canadian production levels and follow through on investment commitments. The government amended those arrangements after production changes at Stellantis and General Motors. Brampton has taken its own unusual step by moving to preserve the assembly-plant lands for automotive manufacturing. The measures cannot force Stellantis to assign a particular vehicle to Brampton, but they are designed to make abandoning Canadian production financially and politically more difficult.
Canada Says the Rejected Deal Asked Too Much for Too Little
Carney’s explanation for leaving the negotiating table went well beyond autos. He said Canada had been prepared to eliminate remaining retaliatory tariffs on strategic sectors such as autos, steel and aluminum if Washington substantially reduced its corresponding duties. Ottawa was also willing to encourage provinces to put American alcohol back on store shelves and consider administrative changes related to agricultural trade without dismantling Canada’s supply-management system.
The government said the final U.S. demands crossed different lines. Carney cited proposals touching Canadian culture, the French language and Canada’s freedom to negotiate independently with other trading partners. He characterized the cumulative package as uneconomic and unreliable. That wider context matters to Brampton because Ottawa’s decision was not simply between accepting or rejecting one auto tariff rate. It was evaluating whether tariff relief for selected industries justified concessions elsewhere and whether the resulting rules would actually provide the long-term certainty automakers need before committing billions of dollars to Canadian plants.
Canada’s Response Will Bring Costs of Its Own
Walking away does not remove the immediate economic pressure. Washington’s newest 50 per cent tariffs took effect after the negotiations failed, expanding duties to billions of dollars of Canadian exports. Carney announced that Canada will respond dollar for dollar, with new measures scheduled to take effect September 8. The planned targets include sectors such as steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper and electronics, with detailed product lists still to come.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford strongly supported the federal decision, arguing that the proposed agreement was bad for Ontario’s auto, steel and manufacturing sectors. Other premiers have been more cautious about retaliation. Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, for example, warned that tariffs on agricultural machinery could raise costs for Canadian farmers. Carney himself acknowledged that counter-tariffs can increase prices and reduce consumer choice. The strategy therefore represents a calculated cost: Ottawa is accepting some near-term economic pain in an attempt to prevent a more permanent weakening of Canadian industrial capacity.
For Brampton, the Real Test Is Whether Vehicles Return to the Line
The immediate trade battle will be measured in tariffs, negotiating statements and retaliatory lists, but Brampton’s measure of success is simpler: whether vehicles are eventually built at its assembly plant again. Unifor has said closure is not an acceptable outcome and continues to push Stellantis for a long-term production commitment. As of August 23, no replacement program capable of restoring the plant’s former workforce has been publicly confirmed, and Stellantis has not announced a completed sale or permanent closure.
That leaves Brown’s warning at the centre of the national debate. A trade agreement that lowers some tariffs but leaves Canadian plants structurally less competitive could provide diplomatic calm without solving Brampton’s problem. Conversely, rejecting the deal carries risks if tariffs persist and investment remains frozen. The next phase will therefore be judged not only by whether Canada and the United States eventually return to negotiations, but by whether the resulting rules give automakers a credible economic reason to keep assigning products, capital and workers to Canada.